Monday 29 August 2011

Goodness Greatcious Me!

North-westerly gales continued to batter the island, making census difficult at times, although the day was largely dry after some torrential rain last night. Also last night was a mighty crash at about 1am that woke up most of the Obs, but the source of which has not yet been traced!

The route through Gully trap took on an exciting element today, with white water rapids to cross.
A small number of migrants linger, with Barred Warbler at the Obs and Common Rosefinch at Schoolton the pick of the bunch but waders stole the show today. Common species generally increased in numbers and three Bar-tailed Godwits flew north. The highlight though was a rather unexpected Great Snipe flushed from a crop strip at Kennaby. I managed to see it just twice in flight (although the second time was a rather nice fly past as it circled back past me) and sadly it couldn’t be relocated later by the massed ranks of Obs staff, researchers and guests.
Sadly I didn't have my camera with me for the Great Snipe, so a picture of the unsuccesful twitch is the best I can manage.
Presumably this bird arrived during the fall a few days ago and has been lurking undetected (both times it was flushed from about 3 metres ahead of me, so it would have been easy to walk past it without realising). Our second Great Snipe of the year following one in the spring, hopefully it will be relocated tomorrow and allow a few more people the chance to see it.
One of two Fulmars I helped out today. This one had got stuck behind the fence in the Gully plantation, the other was sat on the road outside Lower Stonybreck. Both of them were sick on me.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your awesome daily narrative and photos (especially of the fulmars).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,
    fingers crossed the weather improves for Saturday, i'm due to be flying onto the Isle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got the picture of the fulmar as my desktop background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, I'll post another update soon, but it's been a busy couple of days. I'm glad you're enjoying the Fulmars Polly, I'll not try to describe the smell of the oil that this one sicked up on me in case I put you off them!
    The weather is much better now and looks like it should be OK for the weekend. You could be in luck Craig as there is some talk of easterlies as well...

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List