Monday 14 September 2009

At Last!


The day started bright and calm with the wind just east of north. The sea looked pretty smooth - good for the barge bringing more pods. My orders were to meet the morning plane and pick up Dave Okill and Pete Ellis (two FIBO Directors) who were coming to see the new Obs. Hollie came with me and we were at the airstrip saying 'goodbye' to Chris Cox (another FIBO Director who had been up for a few days) when I got a text from Simon - 'Little Bunting at Setter'. Yes, at last its about to kick off! The plane arrived, I swapped one Director for two more and got another text - 'Bluethroat at Schoolton'. We arrived at the Obs and discovered that the barge had been in overnight with more sections. The guys were mightily impressed with what they saw........ but were pleased also with the Red-backed Shrike I discovered in the Obs Plantation. By lunchtime the wind, though light, was definitely from the SE (at last!) and the sun was very warm! I heard of another Bluethroat at Pund and was itching to get round North census but was required for a meeting with the Project Manager so reluctantly had to ask the AWs to do it for me. Landscaping, access and water issues (hopefully) dealt with I dropped the two daytripping gents back at the airstrip and headed home. Just enough time for a cuppa before Fire Training after the plane. Response times, spraying foam, checking BA sets and replenishing the appliance took us up to tea time.
After tea, Lubo (who was as desperate as me to get out) and I went out for a brief thrash around before dark but most birds had already gone to bed.
Jack phoned later to reel off their totals, including 385 Meadow Pipit, 251 Skylark, 70 Wheatear, 24 Willow Warbler, 17 Grey Heron, 15 Cormorant, 7 Lesser Whitethroat, 6 Garden Warbler, 4 Chiffchaff, 4 Lapland Bunting, 2 Whinchat, 2 Sand Martin, 2 Bluethroat and single Merlin, Kestrel, 'mealy' Redpoll, Siskin, Pied Flycatcher, Barred Warbler, Linnet, Dunnock, Common Rosefinch and Reed Bunting. Nice! More tomorrow? I hope so. Only seven pods to go!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List